Encouraging your staff to ditch the car and cycle to work can be quite a challenge! At GO Travel Solutions we believe in the promotion of choice and inspiring individuals to consider healthier commuting options. We understand that everyone's circumstances vary, and for some, driving might seem like the easiest choice.
However, there are several ways employers can help promote cycling and make it more accessible within the workplace. It's not a one-size-fits-all approach, but here are our top five tips to get your employees in the saddle:
- Embrace a Cycle to Work scheme: Consider implementing a salary sacrifice arrangement that allows staff to obtain tax-free new bicycles or accessories, making cycling more affordable and appealing.
- Host on-site cycle events: Organise cycle maintenance sessions, often known as 'Dr Bike' sessions, conducted by cycle providers at your workplace. You can also arrange refresher training and instructor-led rides to encourage participation.
- Audit your onsite facilities: Take a look at your workplace facilities. Ensure there's a safe, lockable bike shed for cycle storage and consider providing appropriate showers, lockers, and drying facilities for staff who cycle. Conduct a quick survey among your employees to identify potential improvements for a more cycling-friendly environment.
- Offer staff incentives: Staff benefit packages such as SmartGO (www.smartgo.co.uk) can provide staff with discounts at cycling retailers. If feasible within your budget, offer free cycling kit, including inner tubes, locks, and reflective clothing.
- Introduce disincentives for car commuting: Charging for car parking, introducing permits or reducing your car park size can help encourage employees who live close by to cycle, whilst retaining parking for those who have no alternative.
Remember, promoting cycling isn't about criticising those who choose to drive but rather educating and inspiring individuals to consider a healthier way of commuting. By implementing these tips, you can create a more cycling-friendly workplace and encourage your staff to adopt this eco-friendly and health-conscious alternative.
Curious to learn more? Reach out to us at email@example.com and we'll be delighted to assist you!